Have you written an e-book? An e-book is a digital document that can be sold online in a purely digital form. Thus, unlike with selling a physical product, the fulfillment of an e-book is done completely online. This is great for you, the author, since you can completely automate the order taking and fulfillment processes.
Once you have the fulfillment process automated, the question becomes how to market the e-book online in order to get people to buy it. “How do I effectively market my e-books online?” is one of the most common questions I hear from my clients. Here are five tips that will help you sell more of your e-books and generate more revenue:
- Find a target market to sell the e-book to. Many people think that everyone is their target market, and as a result try to sell their e-book to everyone. They usually end up chasing after potential customers who are not in their target market and are not likely to ever purchase the book. Their e-book sales suffer as a result.
Instead of trying to sell your e-book to everyone, concentrate on a smaller group of people who comprise your target market. These people are much more likely to purchase what you have to offer, and as a result you will get many more sales.
- Create an effective sales letter for your e-book. Since you cannot take a picture of your e-book and post it on your web site (unlike a piece of jewelry, for example), your need to use the sales letter to promote the e-book.
Make sure that your sales letter effectively describes your e-book and focuses on the benefits your clients will get by purchasing your e-book. Highlighting the benefits will keep people reading the sales letter, and it will generate more e-book sales.
- Give your customers just a few options on your web site. Sometimes clients tell me that their sales letters don’t sell. When I take a look at the sales letters, they are usually a big mess. Sales letters that do not sell contain too many distractions for the reader: they have links to other web pages and web sites, banners, and text ads for other products.
Make sure that your sales letter provides only a few options to your customers – an option to buy the product and an option to subscribe to your newsletter, and that’s it. The fewer options you give to your web site visitors, the more likely they are to buy your product.
- Have a newsletter subscription on your web site. Sometimes people who come to your web site and see your e-book are not ready to purchase the e-book. However, they are ready to subscribe to your newsletter and learn more about you and your products. These people will be ready to buy your e-book eventually, so make sure that you keep in touch with them through your newsletter.
- Use online marketing techniques to promote your e-book further. Use search engine optimization, business blogging, article publishing and other online marketing techniques to promote your web site and e-book. These methods will bring more visitors to your web site, who are craving the information that you share in your e-book.
You can only make money with your e-book if you sell it. Follow the five tips that we discussed to sell more e-book copies and make more money.