So you think you're not justified in taking time away from your business because you're self-employed? Here are five great reasons why you should definitely take a vacation:
1. Physical down time You work hard to grow and maintain your business. Trying to be superhuman will certainly take its toll if you allow it to. Give your body a break by taking in some R&R.
2. Mental down time Your days are filled with busy, sometimes even hectic, day-to-day activities related to your business. If you don't allow yourself to get away from it once in a while, your peace of mind and general well-being will most definitely suffer. Get out and play. Your mind will thank you!
3. Spend time with loved ones Your family and friends see you working, working, working, sometimes rarely coming up for air. Both you and they will appreciate spending some quality time together.
4. See the world (or your own back yard) The important thing is to do something you enjoy, whether it's traveling or, if that's not your cup of tea or you don't have the budget for it, spend time at home. If you also work out of your home, this could be challenging. The key is to stay out of your office during your vacation time. Try getting creative with this. Make your office "off limits" by closing the door and placing a sign on it. Do whatever it takes to keep your mind off working. How about a hobby or a day trip to the beach? Think of what you can do within your budget that's fun. Or do nothing at all!
5. You have a life Although this one is a no-brainer, it surprises me how many small business owners don't feel as if they deserve time off. There is too much to do, and not enough hours in the day to get it all done. Well, I've got news for you. It's always going to feel that way! Only you have the power to allow yourself time off. Even if you prefer only to take a day here and a day there instead of a week-long (or longer) vacation each year, that's a whole lot better than never taking time off. Trust me, you'll feel better about yourself and your work if you take regular vacation time. You'll be healthier, too!